Arts integration is a hot topic in the world of education. The advantages of arts integration are proven to improve student success. Here are three reasons why.
- Arts Integration makes learning a hands-on experience for students.
- When used effectively, the arts require students to actively engage in the process of learning. A session in class will move from just a lesson to an experience. Many times, students are subjected to learning in order to pass the test as opposed to learning for understanding. Arts bring meaning and substance to academic subjects. Just imagine learning about the Harlem Renaissance by acting it out in the form of a musical play. This requires students to actively participate in the hands-on experience of learning, a much more effective way of imbedding information within students.
- Arts Integration creates positive social interactions between students.
- When participating in arts integrated learning, cooperative learning is many times the foundation. Much like the positive effect of participating in team sports, the arts integrated curriculum requires peer cooperation in order to reach the ultimate goal. For example, if an assignment called for a group of students to create a mural showcasing great inventors and their inventions, effective social interactions amongst students take place in order for the project to be a success. Decisions have to be made, roles have to be defined, processes have to be executed, and constructive social interactions must happen to reach the goal. Arts integration facilitates all of these things.
- Art Integration promotes creative expression.
- Creative expression goes hand-in-hand with the arts. Arts give students the opportunity to think outside of the box and produce artifacts that demonstrate their understanding of content knowledge while incorporating meaningful aspects of their personal interests. If a lesson has to do with figurative language; writing poetry or songs would a perfect form of arts integration. Each student will produce pieces of work unique to their own personality while fulfilling the academic requirement. Lessons like this can also be extended to include visual representations of their poetry. The reach of arts integration is endless.
Arts integration is a great way to engage students in hands-on experiences, positive social interactions, and creative ways of personal expression.
Do you think that high quality arts integration can improve your child’s success in school?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.